Thursday, April 24, 2008

Swooners and Such by Brittany

Sweet melodies by locals, "faux fur" (stuffed animals) sightings in coffee shops, an exotic Brasilieira who just arrived in os Estados Unidos a month prior, determined to find success as a supermodel (sadly, just 5'2").
 
Venice Beach? Central Park? Nope, I'm at 14th Street, District of Columbia. And yes, I was really serenaded by three men outside of CVS on the corner of 14th and U who have made the street their home, met a lady at Mayorga Cafe who created a brilliant fur coat out of Pound Puppies, and did my best to slosh my way through my once-fluent Portuguese with our Brasileira follower from Columbia Heights to U Street. This was just one day, two hours really, in the bleak month we call February. Yet life was brighter and more colorful in these few hours than any summer day I had known for quite some time.
 
And that is just what this class is about. Design? Of course. Innovation? I should hope so! The highlight, however, has been the people: the store owners, the residents (and once and future residents), the visionaries. They each have a different story to tell and a unique vision of their neighborhood. And I got to be a part of it. Thank you.
 

2 comments:

Steve said...

I've heard that all the European models have been wearing Pound Puppies for months already.

ppp said...

omg! hahaha! i do remember the girl we walked with :)
what a fun and wierd day this was! by the way, i still wear my jacket out for fun, but only formal occasions (like the opera)