Thursday, March 13, 2008

Curb Appeal by Asri

14th Street in NW, DC has seen tremendous change over the last few decades and I think it is changing for the better. With new businesses arising along the strip, the area seems to be progressively thriving. Washington, DC has been my home for the last 8 years and the more time I have spend here, the more I enjoy this vibrant and exciting city. There are plenty of things to do and it is all within a short distance. What attracted me to Washington is the size and scale of the city, just like my native country, Singapore. 14th Street, especially, has loads to offer: shopping, dining and even automobile repairs. On the same token, it does have few shortcomings. What I truly envision is that someday, 14th street would be as fabulous as Le Marisa in Paris. I am not talking about the small alleyway for pedestrians with cobblestones pavement but the diversity of local business ownership. In my opinion, 14th Street lacks what I call the “curb appeal”. There is not a single sitting area for shoppers to relax or a place for diners to sit while waiting for their restaurant reservation. I am aware of an ongoing local project that is working to “beautify” the area and I hope they are considering some sitting plans. Well, let’s all hope that someday soon, not later, that 14th Street will be one of the best local areas that makes all Washingtonians proud.

No comments: