Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cork

Since its opening at the end of January, I've been really looking forward to checking out Cork, the newest wine bar to pop up this spring in the Logan Circle/14th Street area. Before heading over there, I decided to check out some of the reviews and write-ups they've received, to see what others recommended I sample. In Tom Sietsema's Washington Post article, With Sips and Nibbles, Cork is Pulling Crowds (Wednesday, February 20th, 2008), he interviewed the chef of the restaurant, Ron Tanaka. Ron made a comment that I found particularly interesting. "Cooking is like writing," he said. Both benefit when you "have something to say." There are a few reasons I find this concept very appealing. First, I myself have a passion for cooking, so I completely relate to his observation. A dish performs its best when it tells a story, whether through its history and development or its unique and surprising flavors. Second, it is applicable to what we're doing this semester on 14th Street. Our designs will be successful when, through our window displays, we successfully tell the story of 14th Street and of each individual store. It's a good thing 14th Street is rich with culture and people, and the four stores upon which our efforts will be concerted these next months have such unique and well-defined identities. Our task will be to tell these stories through our designs in a way that really shows off the vivid personalities that call 14th Street home. Hope to see you checking out what we have to say in May!

No comments: